If you have children, I know you'll do whatever is necessary to procure them well-being. I had never thought that welfare had something to do with the soap they use in the bathtub. But so it is, and nowadays we have to read the label on EACH and EVERY product we buy, we have to make choices and do not know where to start ...
Please don't think that I'm only looking for a new thing to do! It happens that 60% of what we put on our skin is absorbed into our bloodstream. This is why all this is important.
Buzzwords on labels can make the decision even harder.~Hypoallergenic ~ ~ Dermatologically tested~, Natural ~, ~ Organic. How brilliant are marketers !, right? But ... what's all this!
The first thing you should consider when reading the label is that if you can not pronounce an ingredient in it, probably should not buy that product.
While environmental groups achieve that large companies stop using harmful ingredients in their products, we will have to review each personal care product ingredients and avoid the ones described in this list:
1. Diethyl phthalate. (Neantine, peilatinol A and solvanol) Used for fragrance and found in shampoos and even toothbrushes. It has been associated with combinations of allergies, dermatitis, respiratory problems and potentially harmful effects on the reproductive system.
2. Parabens: (Benzylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben and propylparaben) qualities have hormonal influence metabolism and neurodevelopment, as well as various cancers.
3. DMDM hydantoin is an antimicrobial preservative means that releases formaldehyde and may have effects on the central nervous system.
4. Diethanolamine (DEA), monoethanolamine (MEA) and triethanolamine (TEA) are hormone disruptors that can create cancer-causing agents. Commonly found in shampoos, soaps and bubble baths.
5. Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate are irritants found in many products for skin care, shampoos, toothpaste, hand soaps, liquid soaps, etc. Many people have found that exposure to SLS triggers outbreaks of eczema.
If we start by avoiding these five ingredients then we're off to a good start. If you do not have time to read every label in the market, then begin with one category at a time and you will gradually achieve to clean your kit from harmful chemicals.
Good luck and enjoy the bath!
If you liked it please share and follow us on: